Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dress Code in Schools

Picture this, you are walking through the halls of your high school, the eager young minds of tomorrow are jubilantly strolling to first period. Not a thought crosses their minds except for prioritizing their homework for optimal effectiveness/learning.

This is a pleasant fantasy, however this is not how many schools operate. The average high school student rarely has the luxury of being this care-free in any given school day.

Among the concerns that trouble the youths of today is fashion. What hot new trends to fall into, what to wear to attract that certain someone across the biology lab, what to wear so that I don't look like a total loser.

What if we could eliminate this variable in a high schoolers life. Could we possibly rear a new generation of learners free from the troubles of the trend. What kinds of minds would come out of such a system as this?

I personally believe that a dress code would be a huge asset to educators everywhere. Imagine how much more concentration students could put into their education if the issue of clothing was eliminated. And what about those students that can't afford to keep up with the trends that others can, would they finally be accepted by their peers? How much hate and discrimination could we eliminate by enacting a dress code in public schools? How much could we cut down on cliques, gangs and other inequality among students? I personally would be willing to try anything.

3 comments:

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

So you are meaning to support the implement a dress code? Would that be a first amendment issue of "freedom of expression?" What would happen to our economy if students stopped spending outrageous amounts of money on designer labels clothes? It does make me wonder, too, what impact a dress code would have on achievement and and atmosphere for learning in our schools. Great topic.

Bethany said...

Interesting topic... I too support the dress code. It takes away one social stress of fitting in by what you wear. If everyone dressed the same it would be more difficult to point out the differences in classes also. A high class student would be required to wear the same outfit as a low class student, thus bridging a huge teen gap. Not to mention all the money saved. I know I worried too much and spent too much on clothes in high school. Hmmmm, do you think there could be a college dress code? :-)

Steve Rosas said...

I like that idea. I know clothes/trends/cliques were all associated in my old high school. It'd be very interesting to see what would happen with a dress code. I think I would have enjoyed a school dress code. I don't know if I would have focused more on my studies... but I'd be able to wake up 5 min. later every morning :-D
Just kidding.