Tuesday, May 15, 2007

FMEA Fiesta!

On April 3, 2007 I had the privilege to attend an FMEA meeting with Professor Juan Tony Guzman. This meeting was different from many FMEA meetings I have been to; Tony had set up a Latin percussion workshop.

This was an excellent experience to learn about something relatively new from a very experienced educator/performer. Tony has more rhythm in his little finger than most people have in their entire bodies.

He began the workshop with teaching how to play the congas (and other like percussion instruments). He taught us the technique and a simple, but effective pattern. We then moved on to other percussion instruments (guiro, cowbell, claves, etc.). However, Tony did not just move on. There were several students that were struggling with the rhythms and he made sure that they were confident before moving on. By the end of the night he had taught us a traditional Cuban protest song, Guantanomera, and we were all playing (more or less) like professional Afro-Cuban percussionists.

I can only hope that someday I have as much passion and compassion for my students and my subject as Tony has. I know that if I can achieve that level of commitment, my students will have the best education that they can get.

No comments: